Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him.1 Samuel 16:17-18
So this guy, was, well, let’s just make a list:
- Talented musician (skilled)
- Tremendously Brave (emotionally healthy)
- A Warrior (virtuous-will stand for what’s right)
- A wise man (makes good choices)
- Attractive (this one just makes me mad)
- And the Lord is with him (he’s a godly person)
Now you might read that and think, “Why bother, I think I’ll go for a calming walk, in front of a bus.”
I completely understand that inclination. But before you lace up and head out, let me just toss you an idea. This passage may well provide us an example of who we should be. I think there are many of us who may be experiencing some confusion on this issue.
When I look around the message is a bit conflicted. According to various social media platforms, I should be, well, let’s make another list
- A baller who meditates
- An environmentalist who owns a fleet of luxury vehicles
- A womanising feminist
- An altruistic narcissist
- A spiritual materialist
- A minimalist who has it all
David is obviously a picture of Christ. When we say, as Christians, we should be Christ-like; maybe this list in 1 Samuel 16 gives us idea of what that looks like.
Perhaps this list provides a portion of what you or I should strive for – maybe. I could be wrong. Who knows. Do what you like.